The AB 43 armoured car is an evolution from the previous AB 40 and 41 models. Equipped with a new larger turret, its main weapon was the 20MM calibre Breda 35, with a co-axial 8MM machine gun. Unfortunately the AB 43 never entered into service with the Italian army as its production was only started in 1944 under the control of the German forces, which had occupied the Italian industry following the armistice in September 1943. These vehicles were distributed to many German units operating at the Italian front. They were used particularly for controls and by the police in the northern regions, which was subject to great partisan resistance. The few examples that survived were used by the police to maintain public order after the war.