The General Dynamics F-111 “Aardvark” entered service in 1967 as a medium-range aircraft
designed for interdiction and tactical strikes. The F-111 was used as an all-weather attack
aircraft capable of low-level penetration of enemy territory. It also could be used for
reconnaissance and electronic warfare. Some unique features are variable geometry wings,
the 2 crew members sat side by side in an escape capsule, internal weapons bay; terrain
following radar and afterburning turbofans. The USAF retired their last F-111 in 1998.
Originally RAAF F-111G A8-272 was USAF SAC FB-111G 68-0272. USAF 68-0272 was
retired on September 23, 1982 and sent to storage at Davis Monthan AFB, known as the
“Boneyard”. In 1992 the RAAF purchased fifteen USAF F-111s including 68-0272 that
became A8-272. The other fourteen F-111s were still in service with the USAF but 68-0272
was taken out of storage and made airworthy. 68-0272 became the only F-111 to ever fly
again in an operational capacity earning the nickname “Boneyard Wrangler”. On May 1,
2009, A8-272 was sent to the RAAF Museum at Point Cook.
There were 34 F-111As reconfigured to F-111Gs for tactical use.
The conversion consisted of minor avionics updates and strengthening the airframe for the
General Dynamics F-111A specifications:
- 2 x pilot, weapon systems officer
- Engines – 2 X Pratt & Whitney TF30-P-3 generating 18,500 lbs. thrust each
- Maximum speed – 1,452 mph (2,336 km/h)
- Cruising speed - 685 mph (1,102 km/h)
- Normal Range - 3,632 miles (5,845 km)
- Service Ceiling - 57,000 ft. (17,373 m)
- Length - 73.5 ft (22.4 m)
- Wingspan - 63.0 ft (19.2 m) spread; 32.0 ft (9.74 m) swept
- Height - 17.13 ft (5.22 m)
- Wing area - 657.4 ft² (61.07 m²) spread; 525 ft² (48.77 m²) swept
- Empty - 47,481 lb (21,537 kg)
- Loaded - 82,843 lb (37,577 kg)
- Maximum takeoff - 98,979 lb (44,896 kg)
- 1 X 20mm M61A1 cannon and up to 24 conventional or nuclear weapons
- 1/72 scale pre-finished.
- Die-cast metal with a minimum of plastic.
- Professionally painted.
- All markings are pad applied for superb results.
- Crew figures.
- 24 Mk. 82 bombs.
- Model has variable-sweep wings that work.
- Comes with display stand.
- Landing gear can be displayed up or down.
- Extremely sought after by collectors.
Flat Rate Shipping - $0.00
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Hobby One users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.