The PBY Catalina was a flying boat produced in the 1930s and 40s, and was designed to be a long-range patrol bomber for deployment against enemy transports at sea. The amphibious PBY-5A was the most produced variant, and was extensively used in World War II for reconnaissance, anti-submarine warfare, convoy escort, and air-sea rescue.
The Catalina numbered A24-13 was originally intended for the RAF, but was diverted to Australia in 1941. It was assigned to RAAF No.11 Squadron at Port Moresby, New Guinea, under the codename “M for Mother”. For three months it flew reconnaissance missions and convoy patrols, till it disappeared without trace during a mission against airfields near Rabaul – the first RAAF Catalina to go MIA in the Pacific war.
This diecast metal aircraft model comes in 1:150 scale with plastic stand and is approximately 5 1/8 inches (13cm) long with an 8 1/4 inch (21cm) wingspan.